At City Light, we’re ready for storm season! We have been busy trimming trees (six hundred miles in 2012) and working on our infrastructure to prepare for storm season. You can be ready too. Here are some easy ways to prepare:
Start by assembling an emergency preparedness kit
- Include at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food and water
- Have a working flashlight with batteries – or a hand-crank flashlight
- Use a battery-powered or hand-crank portable radio
- Have a manual can opener available
- Up-date your first aid kit and include prescribed medications
- Keep an extra pair of glasses, and
- Be sure to remember pets – they will need food and water too
For more tips and ways to be ready, go to: www.takewinterbystorm.com
Five Quick Tips from City Light for Fall
- Save money and energy in the kitchen – try using a slow cooker instead of the stove. Many of your favorite autumn “comfort food” recipes can easily be adapted for the slow cooker.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace, shut the flue when not in use – an open flue is like an open window. Plus, it will help keep sooty smells from getting in the house on gusty days. Just make sure any fire you had burning is completely out before closing the flue!
- To report outages, give us a call at 206-684-3000, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. To see what parts of town are out, check our outage map. If you see a downed wire, always assume that it is energized, and keep yourselves and others well away from it. Call 911 at your first opportunity.
- If bad weather hits, remember to check on your neighbors – especially the elderly, or those who might have language barriers.
- Shorter days mean more streetlight repairs. To report a malfunctioning streetlight, give us a call at (206) 684-7056, or visit our on-line streetlight trouble report form. You can even do it from our mobile app!