Because of the upcoming holidays, we will combine our November and December meetings into one on Wednesday, December 7th. Same time and place: 6:30 potluck, 7:00 meeting, at HPIC on 12th and Holden.
Topics for the combined meeting include:
- NICKELSVILLE: We heard a lot of questions about Nickelsville at our last meeting, so we have invited a few folks from the city to come address our community. We are waiting to hear back and will send a reminder out, and let you know if Nickelsville will be a part of the agenda for the December 7th meeting.
We had a lot of calls for volunteers for Highland Park at our last meeting that I wanted to pass on to anyone that couldn’t make our meeting (it was a full house!):
- WESTCREST PARK: Want to help out the park’s native-plant stewards? They are focusing restoration efforts in front of the south parking lot and could use some help ridding the area of invasive plants and planting native plants. They’d like to form a group of volunteers that meet at the park on a regular basis to help restore the park. If you are interested, contact Jill or Brenda at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- POTENTIAL P-PATCH/COMMUNITY GARDEN: Want to see a Community Garden in Highland Park? Possibly at Westcrest- we need your help! We need people that would like a plot, people that are good grant writers, and anyone else that thinks it’s a great idea- contact Brian: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PEDESTRIAN SAFETY GRANT: Neighbor Rachael Wright secured a $25,000 grant that was matched by the city with $50,000 more to address pedestrian safety for Highland Park Elementary students. She wrote the grant with a crosswalk on 11th and Holden in mind, but an upcoming 2 day workshop will help determine where the funds will go. If there is a particular spot you’d like to see addressed within a mile of the school, email suggestions to: walkHighlandPark@gmail.com OR come to the workshop: Sunday, Nov. 20th, from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm and Monday, Nov. 21st, 8:30 am – 4pm at the school. Participation in the workshop is open to Highland Park families, community members, and other interested persons. An RSVP, and a commitment to attend both days is requested. Coffee, Breakfast, and Lunch will be served. Please RSVP and/or send any questions re: workshop to Lorena Kaplan, Manager, Safe Kids Seattle at email@example.com or call 206.744.9474
- EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS: West Seattle Be Prepared is looking for a new “captain” for the Highland Park area. Contact Cindi Barker if you are interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TRANSIT SYSTEM CHANGES: Metro is sharing proposed changes to bus services and listening to public comments. This could mean some big changes to the 125, 128, and 23 bus routes. See what Metro is thinking about, and share what you’d like to see. Participate by taking this survey: www.kingcounty.gov/metro/haveasay or come to the public meeting at Chief Sealth High School on Wednesday, November 9th, 6:30-8:30pm.
Thank you, we look forward to seeing you at our next meeting. For more information contact the Highland Park Action Committee at email@example.com